Sofa’s help bring comfort and style to living rooms, but they receive more wear and tear than you think. From eating dinner in the family room or watching a movie nuggled up against you – the sofa can capture body oils, cooking odors and airborne dust and dirt.
For upholstered furniture, learning how to deep clean a sofa may seem like an impossible challenge. Luckily, we have some tips and tricks to make sofa cleaning a breeze.
Before you begin cleaning the upholstery on your sofa, it is important to know what type of fabric is used in the upholstery and what the codes mean before you begin cleaning.
Codes generally used on tags include:
- W – This indicates water can be used in cleaning
- WS – A dry cleaning detergent or mild detergent and steam vacuum can be used
- X – No water, vacuum only
- S – Clean with dry cleaner detergent
How to Clean a Sofa
Regular upholstery cleaning and maintenance should be done weekly to prevent the long-term impact of spills or damage from regular wear and tear.
Follow these three simple maintenance tips to help extend the longevity of your sofa:
- Dry brush – use a dry brush to loosen up any pieces of fabric, dirt or debris.
- Vacuum – on a low setting, use your vacuum to remove the items you were able to shake free with your dry brush along with items that have been deeply embedded into your sofa.
- Switch cushions – flip the cushions around to lessen the appearance of being worn down.
How to Deep Clean a Sofa
Sometimes regular maintenance can’t take care of deeply embedded dirt and stains. To properly deep clean a sofa, you will need cleaning cloths, a stiff brush, baking soda and a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment.
Follow these steps to learn how to clean a sofa with baking soda:
- Test your fabric – Baking soda is great for a lot of things, including the removal of grime and embedded dirt in your sofa. Test the fabric first in an inconspicuous area, but baking soda is safe for most types of upholstery.
- Brush the sofa – Use the stiff brush to brush away crumbs, dust, and other debris.
- Apply baking soda – Sprinkle the sofa with baking soda and let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes. You may want to consider mixing the baking soda in dry carpet cleaner for an even deeper clean.
- Vacuum the baking soda – Use the brush attachment on your vacuum to thoroughly remove the baking soda or mixture.
- Remove embedded stains – For any tough stains that are still present, you can use a solution that will work for the type of fabric along with a clean cloth for blotting away stains. For instance, fabric upholstery can be cleaned using a mixture of:
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of dish soap.
- For synthetic upholstery, use a mixture of one cup warm water, 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 tablespoon of dish soap.
- Apply the mixture – Combine ingredients in a spray bottle and spray onto the stains.
How to Shampoo A Sofa
If you are searching for an even deeper clean, consider renting a steam or carpet cleaner to shampoo your sofa. Steam cleaners can be used on a wide range of upholstery, except for suede. Follow these steps to learn how to shampoo a sofa:
- Vacuum the sofa with your brush upholstery attachment and all sides of the cushions to remove any embedded dirt or stains.
- Fill the selected cleaning machine with water and a cleaning solution or detergent that works best for your fabric type.
- Begin cleaning the sofa. Be sure to pull the brush back in an even and straight movement going with the grain of your sofa material if applicable.
- Once the cushions are completely dry, place them back on the sofa.
How to Clean Sofa Cushions
If you can remove cushion covers and the tag indicates they are machine washable, this is the easiest way to clean couch cushions. Otherwise, you can loosen dirt and debris by beating the cushions outdoors on a sunny day. One benefit of doing this is the sun’s UV rays work to disinfect the fabric.
Get professional help if the stains don’t go away
So, you have tried all our the stepson how to clean your sofa upholstery but have not achieved the results you hoped for please give us a call on 087 6089310 At RH Carpet Cleaning we use specific and tailored chemicals to clean all sorts of fabric upholstery.
Whether you are looking for sofa cleaning, curtain cleaning, upholstery cleaning or professional mattress cleaning or rug cleaning. RH Upholstery Cleaning Dublin is here to meet your needs.
We have built a loyal customer base by treating them and their belongings respectfully, and we’ve worked hard to make sure we get the job done better than anyone else can. If you are looking for professional carpet or upholstery cleaning , call us today on 087 6089310 We are sure you will be thrilled with your fantastic, clean furniture.
Did you know?
Book your upholstery cleaning here